Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:14:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on LINT Kernel Failure to compile

> Had I had to compile the LINT kernel, I know how to do it.  The problem is
> that I assumed (hate that word :-) that the LINT kernel is sort of standard
> sanity check for sources and is supposed to compile all by itself, without
> me ``assisting'' it.

And this is entirely correct.  It used to be incumbent on people to
keep LINT in working order for exactly that reason and it's quite
unfortunate that this has been slacked off on a bit in -current
recently.  It was never anyone's intention that a LINT kernel be
bootable, but it was supposed to at least compile and, now that it
doesn't, will be hiding any number of problems from detection in that
manner.  It should be fixed by whomever broke it last, to paraphrase
Bruce.

						Jordan