Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:34:23 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Aldis Berjoza <aldis@bsdroot.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD ports system - bachelors work

On Apr 29, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Aldis Berjoza wrote:

> Some time ago I've read, that FreeBSD might be interested
> to move ports tree to database (sqlite?).
> This would require rewriting of all existing and writing
> some new tools related to ports.
>=20
>=20
> I'm IT student and next year I have to write bachelor work.
> As active FreeBSD user, I am very interested in supporting
> FreeBSD, and, if FreeBSD developers, think that such ports
> reimplementation would benefit FreeBSD community, I'd be
> willing to develop new system.
>=20
> If you have other ideas, how to improve FreeBSD ports
> please let me know. Currently this is just an idea, but I'm
> also open to other suggestions/ideas.
>=20
>=20
> Please, FreeBSD team, replay to my email ASAP, cause I have
> very limited time to select subjects for next semester,
> this will also affect my bachelors work.

Aldis,
	For technical discussions that require some degree of design =
oversight into ports and packaging in general, please get in touch with =
portmgr@. I can tell you right now though, sqlite was an idea that is =
most likely not going to fly with pkg_install though, unless it's a =
completely modular framework where BDB 1.8x can be used in its place. =
The thing is that while certain tools like portmgr use this to `speed' =
things up... it's somewhat artificial as using INDEX sufficiently fast =
in most cases and most of the performance -- and most importantly =
functional issues -- lie elsewhere in the code.
	FWIW there was also a discussion about the merits of speed with =
sqlite and bdb with small-to-medium-ish datasets (of which ports is... =
currently 21k elements stored in one data table), and sqlite was =
significantly slower according to the performance data nox (I think it =
was nox at least...) had on hand.
Thanks,
-Garrett=