Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:07:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting help

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

# I'm working on putting a port together, and I've hit a few snags.
# The port skeleton that I have is at:
# I stuck it in the 'graphics' category, though I'm not completely sure
# that's the best.
# Problems/quandries:
# 1) In the porting section of the handbook, it mentions doing a 'make
# checksum' to generate the files/md5 file, which I couldn't for the life
# of me get to work right.  I ended up manually md5'ing the file, and
# duplicating the format of the other md5 files I see.  It seems to work,
# but I'm wondering if the 'make checksum' is supposed to work as
# advertised or if it's right as it is.

I think you want 'make makesum'.

# 2) Manpages.  I'm a little unclear on what exactly should be happening
# here.  The Makefile of the package itself (not the port skeleton)
# compresses and installs the manpages as part of it's installation
# routine.  Does this mean I should:
# 	a) make a patch to take that out, and use the MANx variable?
# 	b) include the manpage in the PLIST?
# 	c) something else?

Use MANx and MANCOMPRESSED=yes.

# 3) portlint is spewing:
# {~/tmp/tmpport/graphics/bgrot} mortis:{1604} %portlint . | grep ^WARN
# WARN: extra item placed in the *_DEPENDS section, for example, "USE_PERL5".
# Does this mean I should do this some other way?
# USE_PERL5=              yes
# RUN_DEPENDS=    xv:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/xv

Swap the order of the two lines and put a blank line between them.

#
# That's all I've found just in theoretical; I haven't tried any of the
# actual install/etc as a port, just trying to get it clean-looking for the
# moment.

You might also like to add 'FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-b' since I had
trouble getting both the portball and the distfile.

-steve