Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:35:54 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: xbatt or other indicators for the Thinkpad 600E?

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 04:33:17PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Gary Kline wrote:
>
>  > On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:11:55PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>  > > Also, is APM being probed at boot time? You should see something like:
>  > > apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
>  > > apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
>  > > very early in the boot. I don't build APM into the kernel but add:
>  > > apm_load="YES"
>  > > to /boot/loader.conf, but it should be fine in the kernel.
>  >
>  > 	The only 'BIOS'-related probe I see involves the PCI->PCI
>  > 	bridge.  When the system boots I get complaints about a
>  > 	missing /dev/apm; and an expected string about apmd.
>
> Just a thought - is APM enabled (or able to be disabled) in the BIOS?

	I don't know.  My ThinkPad doesn't seem to have a way into
	the bios.   No 'Type ESC to reach the BIOS'.  (??)

>  > > Make sure that ACPI is disabled and apm enabled in /boot/device.hints.
>  > > hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
>  > > hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
>  > > hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
>  > >
>  > > If ACPI starts up, APM won't. These hints entries take care of both
>  > > issues.
>  >
>  >
>  > 	Ah, the acpi.0.disabled was set to false.  This was
>  > 	probably the culprit.  I just set it to "1".
>
> Hopefully that will fix it.  APM works fine on my Compaq Armada 1500c
> (on 4.5-R) as long as APCI is switched off in BIOS.

	It does work :-)  I'm a bit surprised that anything this
	old (1998) has the power-management stuff.

> > As an aside, I tried mailing you off-list about this yesterday, and got:

> ... while talking to ns1.thought.org.:
> <<< 550 5.0.0 <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>... No SPAM
> 554 <kline@tao.thought.org>... Service unavailable
>
> .. so I guess your spam filter is maybe targetting .au ?  Sorry to
> mention this on-list, but you probably wouldn't see it otherwise.

	I just fixed my /etc/mail/access file.  I had 550'd the
	"asn.au" domain.  Sorry!!  Either somebody was spamming
	from your domain or, more likely, had highjacked it.
	One by one, I'm deleting legit IP's.  No idea how many
	people have emailed me, had things bounce, and just
	flipped me off!  Thanks for letting me know.

	gary