Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:38:57 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   saving configs [was: MUA's seen in the lists]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 04:42:23PM -0400, Joseph Mallett wrote:

> Imagine having to do this to back up configuration:
> 	find / -name '*.conf' -exec cp {} /backup/ ';'
> And then imagine restoring everything to its proper home.
> And then imagine all the files you missed because application X decided it
> didn't want to name its files with .conf, X11 comes to mind.

That'd be pretty futile. I run a script from cron that archives all of
the important config files, plus a few reports and a listing of the
contents of those archives showing the original paths. This can run
daily 12 hours from backup time, or occasionally for a static home machine.

It is NOT a substitute for backing up, but a more quickly accessed copy
of the files for a quick restore if one of them gets hosed. (Ever had a
server down while someone farts around with a tape to restore a 2k
file? Broke your fstab or password file at 5pm, or lost today's new
virtual domains setups? Discovered that the assistants haven't been
using RCS like they promised?) It's a wonderful resource if you ever
want to build the whole machine from scratch, e.g. on new hardware with
a very different version of FreeBSD plus a good dose of hindsight. You
know that all the info you need is in there, except the actual data --
no searching or head-scratching required.

These archives fit onto one floppy disk (two for the slow 386 where I
want the current built kernel as well). I use zip and put them on
DOS-formatted floppies, so that individual files can be extracted,
viewed, printed, copied to another floppy, from almost any old
Macintosh, OS/2, VMS, Unix, DOS, or even MS-Widows machine. For a
simple setup you can just copy the files and still fit them all on a
floppy.

They are easy to transport off site (a quick scp to somewhere secure,
or mail two disks in a regular envelope) and are so easy to make you'll
have enough not to worry about unreliability of the media. Store one
diskette every month or two for a compact history of the machine's configs.

I'm surprised that others don't do something similar.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-