Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:28:16 -0600
From:      Matthew Bettinger <mbettinger@championelevators.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID + adaptec 2400A

On Sunday 15 December 2002 05:16 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:27:49AM -0600, mattb wrote:
> > The disc loads up and I can get to the  kernel configuration menu...7
> > conflicts.  I take care of the conflicts and the machine continues to
> > load the kernel.. loads up asr0 ok.
> > The machine then attempts to mount root from /dev/fd0c for some reaso=
n.
> > When it can't mount  /dev/fd0c it drops into an mountroot> prompt and=
> > haven't been ableto get past this.

Still having some major issues trying to get this box installed.

> Hmmm... That's not necessarily a problem with the raid card as such.
> The 'root' that the system is trying to mount at that point is the
> filesystem on the CDRom drive.  Do you see any mention of your CD
> drive in the boot messages?  Nb. the fact that the BIOS can see the CD
> well enough for it to boot the kernel from it in no way precludes
> FreeBSD from being unable to see the device well enough to mount a
> filesystem from it...

I went into SMOR (cntrl-A) at bootup and configured the drives on the rai=
d =20
card as RAID-0 and actually got OpenBSD FloppyB to boot and configure the=
=20
disks after disabling DMA mode.  I'd prefer to use FreeBSD. =20

> A quick'n'dirty way to get around the problem is to grab the bootable
> floppy images and build install floppies (Handbook, section 2.2.7
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.h=
tml)
> and use those to do a network install.

Using the same configuration which worked with OpenBSD I booted off of th=
e 4.7=20
cd and it still attempts to mount root file system from /dev/fd0c.  I tri=
ed=20
booting off of the cdrom and get all the way to kernel configuration mode=
,=20
remove the 7 conflicting devices and hit Q.  The kernel proceeds to load =
and=20
I can see the asr0 device and my cdrom device and my floppy device. =20

It's always trying to mount root on /dev/fd0c for some strange reason.  I=
f I=20
disable the floppy in the bios and remove it from the kernel I still can'=
t=20
get anywhere.  I'm pretty much at a loss now.  If anyone knows how to get=
=20
this card working in FreeBSD or linux I would appreciate it.  It's going =
back=20
to Windows 2000 Advanced Server if I can't get this.  Thanks for any=20
assistance.

Matt=20