Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:50:28 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        Jack Wenger <webmaster@ac-ent.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Email aliased to virtual domains

At 11:34 20/04/98 -0500, Jack Wenger wrote:
>I have a new client that wants about thirty email accounts attached to
>their virtual domain, so that the users on their network can get mail at
>username@virtualdomain.com. I currently make a new user for each extra
>email account for my existing domains and use the virtusertable function of
>sendmail, but the user has to get their mail from username@mydomain.com. Do
>I have to hack sendmail to make this work?  If so, can some one point me in
>the right direction?

How about moving away from sendmail - both exim and qmail are better in
more ways that I can think about with no major disadvantages. (exim
interfaces with other thigns in a more sendmail like way so I'd choose it
if you were worried about that side of things.)

Both are a LOT easier to configure than sendmail - our exim config has
about 10 lines to allow us to have a file listing all the "virtual" domains
we wish to handle, and then a directory that contains a set of alias file -
one for each such domain, with the name of that domain.

If someone wants a new domain "wibble.com" we just add wibble.com to the
bottom of the index file, create an alias file called wibble.com in the
required directory, point mx records and it just works (don't even need to
rebuild an aliases db or anything). And all that about an hours works from
the base exim package.

BTW the main reason we choose exim over qmail is that the exim
documentation is quite simply brilliant (it's close to being a book).

www.exim.org
www.qmail.org

Both of these MTAs are in major use (1000s+ users, many being mainstream)

Manar