Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:28:49 -0700
From:      Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Subject:   Re: su change?

Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Crist Clark <cjclark@alum.mit.edu> probably said:
>
> [misquoted text cut. please learn to quote correctly]

The previous poster screwed up the quoting. I am always torn whether the
best etiquette is to "fix" it or not.

> > If you've put a password in the boot PROM and forgotten that however, you
> > are fscked. Time to buy a new chip!
>
> *sigh*
> You don't know when to give up, do you ?
>
> What does forgetting the prom password on a sparc have to do with your
> incorrect comment on screwing up root's password entry on a Solaris
> box ?

Someone else started talking about booting off of a CDROM which
diverted us into the relm of a Sun in OpenBoot. I wanted to point out
you can just tell it to boot off the CDROM, so I was expecting someone to
mention that you would need a EEPROM password to do that if the security
was enabled. I figured I preempt that remark.

> Oh, and you're incorrect again. You can remove a lost PROM password
> without replacing the PROM, assuming you have physical access which
> you'd have to have to replace it. Some are easier than others and the
> easier ones depend on other settings in the prom, but it can be done
> in several ways.
>
> The NVRAM FAQ lists some of them;
>   http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Ummm... This page says,

  7.My Sun is in full-security mode (can't even boot without password)
    and I don't know the EEPROM password. How do I fix this? (Replace chip)

"Replace chip." You know a trick? I'd be curious. I had an admin do
this once ('course, with our Sun contract, a tech replaced the chip
the same day, no big deal).

> Quit wasting time and bandwidth arguing about things you don't know
> enough about on inappropriate lists ?

I agree this has now gotten inappropriate. Unfortunately, my mailer
mutinied when I tried to remove -stable from the list of targets (teach
me to wrestle with the mailer at work). I left in -security since I was
actually posing a small question about the old C2 spec someone mentioned.

This time, I promise to try harder to get the recpients correct. But I
am not sure what I do not know enough about.
--
Crist J. Clark                                cjclark@alum.mit.edu