Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:00:55 +0100
From:      Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        Eric Kozowski <eric@svjava.com>
Cc:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd box acting as a wavelan BS

Eric Kozowski wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 05:16:16PM +0100, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone managed to configure a fbsd box as a Wavelan BS ?
>
> yes it's easy.  which wavelan card are you using?

Wavelan Orinoco...Silver (with the ISA bridge)

I would like to know how but ...do you really mean that the fbsd box is
acting a base station with the wavelan card in *infrastructure* mode or
do you mean that the box operates in ad-hoc (peer to peer ) mode. Adhoc
mode is very easy...what I want is to have the fbsd base station act as
an access point where _many_  clients can associate....not just one....

so which of the two does the fbsd "wavelan BS" do ...adhoc mode (peer to
peer connection ) or infrastructure mode...???

If it works in ad-hoc mode the PCF and DCF functions are not really
happening...which is what a BS is all about...

Don't you agree?   (or anyone else)

Theo