Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 20:13:31 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, atrn@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: Video Stupidity

On 21-Nov-99 Brett Glass wrote:
> Actually, as I recall, Sony was said to have ONE -- count it --
> ONE recording Walkman. But the only references I could find to
> it said that it was priced at something like 5x the cost of a
> player -- even though the cost of adding recording was obviously
> nowhere near that. So, no one carried it.

By coincidence, this weekend I was looking to buy a new hi-fi and have a copy of
the current UK Sony brochure.

In the first few pages, there is a little potted history of the Walkman.
The walkman was conceived by Sony's Hon. Chairman whilst travelling, he
apparently wanted a "playback-only stereo version of the Pressman for
his long bussiness flights". I think that sums the idea up.

Sony have always made portable, recording cassette recorders. These a
PRO audio kit, designed for journalists etc. They happen to be excellent
as home hifi, I know of a number of people who use the Sony Pro Walkmans
as their only cassette decks.

Currently listed Walkmen that can record:

        WM-GX414 (includes FM/AM radio etc.)
        WM-D6C (mic and line in jacks, the professional part)

> Sony had -- and has -- a vested interest in discouraging anyone
> from buying a device that can record music without copy protection,
> and this is one way they try to enforce it.

***ks, Brett, are any of the Sony cassette decks restricted to
play-back only? These are the products much more suited to copying
material from a variety of audio sources.

The Walkman is simply a product that fulfils what the majority of
people buying one want - personal music playback.

Duncan

---