Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:41:20 -0400
From:      Simon Shapiro as Himself <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel cdevsw.size

Hi Y'll

The function pointer (entry point, etc.) that indicates a device size is
defined in sys/conf.h as:

typedef int d_psize_t __P((dev_t dev));

The problem I have is that i2o devices express size as 64bit
unsigned value (this is in bytes).

This means that a device with more than 2billion sectors will
fail to work correctly.

While I realize this is not a very practical worry to most,
such devices are not purely imaginary, nor inconcievable.

Just casting the data will intruduce a latent and undocumented
bug, sort of y2k of device sizes.

Suggestions?

--

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             404.644.6401

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth