Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:14:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Andrew=20Johns?= <johns_aj@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP over UDP/ssh

Hi,

Having problems with PPP over UDP and ssh.  (After
reading some material I've decided against using ssh
due to possible retransmission problems.)

Both systems are 3.3-RELEASE and I'm using the
examples from
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.span-isp
but I'm just using the vpn bits, not the multi-link.

What I'm trying to achieve is to create a pipe from
one
FreeBSD firewall to another, to allow users at one end
to telnet to a box inside the other, eg:

 users --> BSD1 ----> ISP <---- BSD2 (FW) ----- Telnet
             \___________________________/      target
                 PPP over UDP over PPP

I am connected to the ISP (trivial)
I start ppp in interactive mode, enter term, wait a
few secs, then ~p.  The ppp.log starts rolling on BSD2
but then fails, retrys, fails, .... 5 times.

The problem seems to be that the client connects OK
but then no packets are sent back to the client from
the server - all I get is the following message in
the ppp.log file (mixed amongst all the rest but this
is the crucial line as far as I can tell):

Phase: deflink: write (0): Destination address
required

It trys five times to connect, each time falling over
at this point - there's something blatantly obvious
that I'm missing here.  I can't imagine WHICH
destination address it wants - both machines are
connected to the same ISP at this point - I'm just
stuck (or maybe it's cos it's Friday :) )

Please CC me as I can't handle the volume of this
list.

TIA

=====
FreeBSD  : The Power to Serve!
Microsoft: The Power to ...
This program has performed an illegal operation and ... :)