Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2012 20:57:41 +0600
From:      Andrew Alcheyev <buddy@telenet.ru>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   mpt(4): some trouble with mixing LSI SAS1078 and LSI FC 7104EP

Hello, freebsd-scsi.

Today I ran into some strange problem while launching two mpt(4) cards
simultaneously within the same host. Each one in itself works fine but
together they cause the kernel to panic when probing devices.

It seems the trouble is that both cards are steered by the same device
driver, mpt(4), and the trouble arises when disks should be attached
to the corresponding device.

The first device (mpt0) is Fibre Channel PCIe card LSI 7104EP - which
worked great for several years along with another RAID (amr(4), if it
matters) within another host.

The second one (mpt1) is LSI SAS 1078 - RAID controller integrated into
Intel's platform SR2600URLXR (I had to get fresh 9-stable kernel to
bring this card up).

The other part of problem that I could not get any sensitive
information from the kernel because it hangs as soon as it discovers
some disks at the RAID controller (the existence of any disks at
FC-card makes no difference). The USB keyboard hangs (or whatever in
the kernel) as well at the same moment so I can't do any magic through
in-kernel debugger nor get any dump.

So far I stuck with 2 questions:
- did anybody have any luck with mupltiple mpt(4) cards within a
  single host?
- what can I do to resolve this trouble?

With the best regards, Andrew.