Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:27:58 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

>I think we may just have to disagree on this. For me, and for many others,
>the very ESSENCE of BSD is the sort of programmer-friendly, supportive
sharing
>that the GPL is intended to sabotage.
>
>Many of the best things that BSD has produced -- it can even be credited
>for the widespread success of the Internet itself -- would never have come
>to be if it were licensed under the GPL.
>
>>} When one points out the problems of the GPL, one is not "attacking
>>} others;" rather, one is helping others by exposing a deceitful and
>>} malicious agenda. That's a VERY positive thing.
>
>That the GPL is intended to hurt people is, simply, beyond dispute. Richard
>Stallman  has explicitly and repeatedly stated not only THAT it is designed
>to hurt people, but whom it is designed to hurt, and how.

Hi!

Well, as I am collecting material and sources for writing some advocacy
pieces here in germany, it would be very interesting where Stallman said
this, as for sure the discussion GPL vs BSDL will come up again...

And, isn't the name self-explaining? Stall (ing) man ??  ;-))

>>} One of the memetic strengths of the Linux community and its leaders
>>} is that they have not only things that they promote but things that
>>} they firmly oppose. Such causes draw people together. One thing I see
>>} in the BSD community which hobbles its effectiveness is that some people
>>} in it refuse to take a stand, even against something like the GPL which
>>} is clearly hurtful and malicious. Perhaps this is what Linus was really
>>} saying.

Well, thats a common efect in times of war and need...

But in our "good" times here we have some other measurements...

We have to remember that Linux arouse partially as a sort of being anti, it
has even nowadays for the hard-core Linuxer some spirit of the 68 on it, if
you want to believe some of the flame wars...

>It isn't a point that's subject to being argued. The author of the GPL has
>stated, many times, unambiguously, that this was his intent in creating
>it: to hurt programmers' livelihoods. I'd be glad to post some of the
>relevant material if you'd like.
Please sent some of that to me via private mail, or quote at least some
resource.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)