Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:22:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      aaron <aaron@lo-res.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/30918: add docs on running Linux-Maple

>Number:         30918
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       add docs on running Linux-Maple
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD meta.lo-res.org 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC #0: Mon Sep 3 17:10:10 CEST 2001 root@meta.lo-res.org:/usr/people/src/sys/compile/meta.43 i386

	Add documentation on running the Linux Version of Maple
	( a mathematics package used in the scientific world). This
	would fit next to the "Running Mathematica" section in the
	handbook.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
   sample documentation that I wrote: use as you like.
   since I received no feedback I will submit it as it is.
   I am sure it could use re-phrasing, feel free :)

------ snip ------

             INSTALLING LINUX MAPLE 6.0.1 for FreeBSD 4.x

                  by: Aaron Kaplan (aaron@lo-res.org),
                  Thanks to Robert Getschmann (rob@getschmann.org)

NOTE1: Maple is a commercial mathematics program similar to Mathematica.
       You have to buy it at http://www.maplesoft.com/ . Then you have to
       register there for a license file.

1. execute the INSTALL shell script on the distribution.
   My installation dir = /usr/local/maple
   When the installation asks you which binaries you want,
   chose the RedHat option

2. If you have not done so, order a license for Maple
   from Maple Waterloo Software (http://register.maplesoft.com)
   and copy it to /usr/local/maple/license/license.dat

3. Install the FLEXlm license manager:
   execute the INSTALL_LIC install shell script that comes with Maple.
   As hostname for the license server, specify your primary
   hostname.

   Everything should have been copied over to your hard disk by now.

4. patch the usr/local/maple/bin/maple.system.type file with the following
   ----- snip ------------------
*** maple.system.type.orig      Sun Jul  8 16:35:33 2001
--- maple.system.type   Sun Jul  8 16:35:51 2001
***************
*** 72,77 ****
--- 72,78 ----
          # the IBM RS/6000 AIX case
          MAPLE_BIN="bin.IBM_RISC_UNIX"
          ;;
+     "FreeBSD"|\
      "Linux")
          # the Linux/x86 case
        # We have two Linux implementations, one for Red Hat and
   ----- snip end of patch -----

   Please note that after the "FreeBSD"|\   no other whitespace should
   be present.

   What this does is basically: the bin/maple shell script calls the
   bin/maple.system.type shell script which in turn calls uname -a
   to find out the operating system name. Depending on the OS name
   it will find out which binaries to use. The patch says that FreeBSD
   should be treated the same as Linux.

5. start the license server

   I use the following script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lmgrd.sh to start up lmgrd:
   ----- snip ------------

#! /bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/maple/bin:/usr/local/maple/FLEXlm/UNIX/LINUX
export PATH

LICENSE_FILE=/usr/local/maple/license/license.dat
LOG=/var/log/lmgrd.log

case "$1" in
start)
	lmgrd -c ${LICENSE_FILE} 2>> ${LOG} 1>&2
	echo -n " lmgrd"
	;;
stop)
	lmgrd -c ${LICENSE_FILE} -x lmdown 2>> ${LOG} 1>&2
	;;
*)
	echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" 1>&2
	exit 64
	;;
esac

exit 0
   ----- snip ------------

6. test-start maple:
   cd /usr/local/maple/bin
   ./xmaple

   You should be up and running. If not, let me know and most important:
   write to maplesoft that they should do a FreeBSD version :)

COMMON PITFALLS:
================

  *) The FLEXlm license manager can be quite disturbing. If you need more
     help on this topic go and check out http://www.globetrotter.com/
     They have online reference manuals on their product.

  *) I ran into some problems with lmgrd. It core dumped until I fixed my
     license file. It now looks like:

  -------- snip ------------

# =======================================================
# License File for UNIX Installations ("Pointer File")
# =======================================================
SERVER chillig ANY
#USE_SERVER
VENDOR maplelmg

FEATURE Maple maplelmg 2000.0831 permanent 1 XXXXXXXXXXXX \
         PLATFORMS=i86_r ISSUER="Waterloo Maple Inc." \
         ISSUED=11-may-2000 NOTICE=" Technische Universitat Wien" \
         SN=XXXXXXXXX

  (NOTE: Serial number and key 'X''ed out. "chillig" is my hostname)

 Editing the license file works as long as you don't touch the "FEATURE" line
 (which is protected by the license key).