Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:47:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, bright@wintelcom.net, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

> > Drop by the newsgroup.  There was a thread last week about
> > someone using cvsup expecting to get 4.2-stable and he got
> > 4.3-beta.  He was annoyed and confused because he thought
> > beta meant "beta quality" (as in inferior software).
>
> Well, there are two different things here though:
>
> 1. The usage of "BETA" to denote some pre-release collection of bits
>    on an FTP site.
>
> 2. The usage of BETA in newvers.sh
>
> I think it's #2 which is actually causing all the problems here and I
> would happily forgo changing newvers.sh until it's time for the actual
> release.  I don't usually mark it BETA myself, but one of my helpers
> here jumped the gun this time. :)

As the implementor of this part of newvers.sh I would have to say that
the use of BRANCH has been heavly overloaded by the release engineers
(including myself) to indicated points on a BRANCH.

One thing that I probably did differently was that the points on a
branch were usually never committed, I simply edited the copy in my
build tree, built the -ALPHA, -BETA, whatever, and put the bits up.

If anything I would like to see this changed to be more in line with
that.  Perhaps commit the -BETA, then immediately commit it back to
-STABLE so we can use these commit dates in a cvs co -d to get the
same tree that release engineering used to build the release, but
those cvsuping are very very unlikely to see a -BETA version.

You have to change both the version and the branch up and back down,
not so sure I feel good about that :-(.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net