Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:20:41 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: KDE themes

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Folks,
> Every seems to be sidestepping the solution.  Install KDE 1.1.2, which is in
> the current ports collection and that does have the theme manager.
>
> -Chris

I'd like to add a little insight on installing the 1.1.2 port.  This actually
applies to ALL ports if you maintain an older system.
I've found that you can avoid many headaches if you reinstall every port
dependancy when dealing with window managers.  It seems to me that we need
better version control in the dependancy tree.   Just because a
/var/db/pkg/portname says it is installed doesn't necessarily mean the correct
version is really there.  Find the dependent libraries and api's in /usr/ports
(graphics and x11), make deinstall and make reinstall those suckers if you have
any problems.  I even went so far as to reinstall dependencies of those such as
libtool and gettext just to get a few of these libraries to compile correctly.
This is on a cvsup'ed 3.3-R/ports machine and I've seen problems like this for a long time.
If there is some utility to help avoid these situations I've not yet run across
it.

Tony