Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 16:25:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copies of superblocks in FFS

Thanks for your reply, but I still have a little problem with it:

> :Also, except for the root filesystem (/), all other filesystems (/var,
> :/usr, etc.) do not have the (boot code + disklabel) installed, these space
> :are also wasted (8192 bytes for each non-root filesystem).
>
> It is very handy to be able to make a filesytem bootable after it has been
> created.   Much easier than dumping the filesytem, remaking the filesytem, and
> then restoring it.  I'll pay 16K per filesystem for this.

But the BIOS always read boot blocks from the beginning of a FreeBSD
slice, which is the root filesystem space (or can we let other non-root
filesystems to occupy the beginning of the FreeBSD slice?).

> :BTW, the hard disks are more stable nowadays and any bad sectors may have
> :been hidden by the disk controllers (the filesystem does not have to deal
> :with them).
>
> Panics still can leave the primary superblock hosed.  Trust me.

What kind of panic?  The kernel is a trusted program anyway.

Thanks for you help.

-Zhihui