Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:52:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: 520byte sector size

> This once also worked for a Seagate drive for me.  The other option
> i've seen (ISTR it was an IBM drive) was to change the `block size'
> parameter in the buffer header of a MODE SELECT command, and then

I believe the correct method is to change the "data bytes per phys sector"
parameter (bytes 12 and 13, big endian) on the "format parameter page"
(page code 3) immediately before reformatting.

> reformat the drive.  I don't know whether there's an easy opportunity
> to do this using camcontrol, short of manually assembling a complete
> MODE SELECT command using -c.

I have a program that lets you manually edit individual fields of
mode pages symbolically.  The command sequence would go something
like this:

	./gsu da0
	m set bps=512
	format
	(edit and write dos/bsd disk labels)

The FreeBSD port is still in a little bit of an "alpha" state.
I can make it available on a "per request" basis.  I ask only
that the "alpha" versions not be redistributed.

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu