Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 95 10:02:00 PST
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Multiport Serial Cards Capacity

Please cc: all answers to me (splyaski@cmp.com). I'm very interested inthe
same info. Thanks.

 -Serge
 ----------
From: owner-freebsd-questions
To: questions
Subject: Multiport Serial Cards Capacity
Date: Friday, March 17, 1995 9:01AM

Hi,

I can see in the mailinglists that quite a few people use (or want to)
multiport serial cards. I see a lot of talking going around, but what I also

read that some cards can have problems with the capacity of the modems (in
our case) connected to it.

Here's the case: I want to install a 8 or 16-port card to connect 8 (or 16)
28k8 modems to enable customers to call in and explore the wide Internet!
But 16 modems with a 28k8 speed, comes to a total of 460kbit/sec.
(theoraticly). Are there any cards that can hadle this much data? I heard a
suggestion of the BOCA 2016 card (for 16 serial ports). Does anyone have any

experience connection 16 modems to a BOCA 2016? If so, how about performance

on a maximum load? Or does anyone have good experiences with any other cards

regarding performance?

Bye,
Wilfred!