Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 16:15:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Peter Haight <psh1@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Autoconf macro for finding include subdirectories

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Peter Haight wrote:

> A bunch of the library ports install header files in subdirectories off of
> /usr/local/include. Giflib and tiff are examples. Most of the various
> programs that use these libraries just look in the normal include paths.
> Does anyone have an Autoconf macro that works like AC_CHECK_LIB, but will
> also find the include directory with the header file in it?

You can easily check where they install, by inspecting each port's
pkg/PLIST.  Usually, the installed directory is the one the library
intends as a default, so other software that uses those libraries finds
it easily.  The installation is conditioned against the user's setting
of PREFIX, because not everyone wants to use /usr/local.  The only ports
I've had problems with are the tcl ones, for reasons that are very well
known.

All ports that use those libraries are already set up to find the
required libraries correctly, with no modifications at all, irregardless
of local PREFIX settings, as long as those settings are stable on any
particular machine.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).