Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 14:58:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        mtaylor@cybernet.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in 3.1 with 16650 serial chip

"Mark J. Taylor" wrote:

> There is a problem with the 16650's: they have high-speed capabilites,
> but by default they are "off".  This means that bit 7 of the MCR (the
> high bit) will be "1" by default.  This causes sio probe "2" to fail,
> because the value that is read back from the MCR is 0x80, instead
> of the expected 0x00 (at least in the multiport case).

Did you try "flags 0x20000" in the kernel config?  It seems to be working
on my system recently upgraded to 3.1.  I haven't had a chance to test
the serial port speed yet, because somebody walked off with my ISDN TA,
but I'm supposed to get it back today.  My two 16650 ports do at least
probe correctly with the above flags.