Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 18:27:26 +0100
From:      Aren Olvalde Tyr <aren.tyr@gawab.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Tool

--nextPart573296278.dQ1nnClntQ

On Monday 01 May 2006 10:15, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Because using binary packages much nullifies any port Makefile knobs
> that're used for compile or configure-time purposes.  You're stuck using
> whatever defaults the person who built the binary package used.

Good point.=20

On the subject of which, does anyone know if there is any convention for th=
e=20
pre-built FreeBSD packages? i.e. Are they built extremely conservatively,=20
with all optional bits switched off, or aggressively, i.e. all optional bit=
s=20
on? Or is it "default", i.e. most commonly wanted options on, more obscure=
=20
off; or finally, just purely random, down to whatever the person who built=
=20
the package happened to choose at the time depending on their mood?

> I've never "fully trusted" binary packages (I do for some ports, not for
> others) due to not knowing what options someone has built them with...

Perhaps it would be good, if, say on the corresponding port entry on the=20
=46reeBSD ports webpage, it listed all the options used for building the bi=
nary=20
package. For example, for the "Package" link, instead of simply linking to=
=20
the package, it could link to a page entry listing all of the build options=
=20
used, with the package download link at the bottom. Or something like that.=
=20

Just an idea. What do people think?=20

Aren.