Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:54:29 -0400
From:      "David W. Alderman" <dave@mmrd.com>
To:        heller@cdnow.com
Cc:        ade@lovett.com, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for V.90 PCI modems?

A. Karl Heller wrote:

>  Do I dare ask how external V.90 modems work then?

Like any other standard modem.  There are three basic types of internal modem:

1-Modems that take the full AT command set through a serial chip (or hardware
simulacrum thereof).
2-Modems that use the CPU to interpret the AT commands but all codec and compression
functions are performed in hardware.
3-Modems that use the CPU to interpret AT commands and some of the codec and
compression functions.

I believe the original RPI  modems were of class 3 above and therefore sucked.

Most V.90 Winmodems are actually of class 2 and do not suck as badly as the RPI's.

Many internal V.90 modems are class1 and therefore FreeBSD friendly.  Most are PnP,
though.

WARNING:  I am not a modem expert. The classes above are strictly my own and made up
3 minutes ago based on my observations of the current consumer modem "scene".
YMMV.  I do have an external V.90 modem that does not require special software
drivers to work.  Give it the appropriate AT string and it goes!
--
Dave Alderman
dave@persprog.com is changing to dave@mmrd.com