Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:05:29 -0500
From:      "Kevin A. Carman" <kcarman@inetone.net>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'sysop@inetone.net'" <sysop@inetone.net>
Subject:   INN Support for FreeBSD

Hello;

I am with the ISP InetONE (pronounced I - Net - One).  We have used FreeBSD on multiple DNS servers for over 2 years now and have had excellent success.  We have been using Windows-NT as a news server running Netscape News Server 2.01.  Sprint, our upstream provider, has recently upgraded their systems to Cyclone 1.3.9.  This new version is giving our Netscape system fits!  Sprint is recommending we move to INN and sent us to the Internet Software Consortium web page (www.isc.org) to look at INN.  Apparently this group released INN 1.7.2 in December of 1997.  Sprint has, however, been very vague regarding which version works with their new upgrade.  Here are our questions:

1).  Is there a version of INN available for FreeBSD?
2).  If so what version of FreeBSD is recommended?
3).  What version of INN works with Cyclone 1.3.9?
4).  If available, is the version of INN basically self-running or does it require massive amounts of user intervention.
5).  Does FreeBSD support RAID level 5 using 3 - 8.4Gig IDE/EIDE Hard Drives?

Your help with these questions is greatly appreciated.  We have been fighting this problem for several weeks now and our customers are becoming extremely unhappy.

Sincerely,

Kevin A. Carman
Network/Internet Systems Administrator
Highland Cellular, Inc / InetONE