Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 22:59:26 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        Josh Littlefield <josh@American.COM>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more ATAPI CD issues

Apparently, Josh Littlefield scribbled:
> I've stuck the -current atapi support into a stock 2.0.5 kernel, and believe
> I've done it correctly.  I've discovered some problems with the atapi code
> I'd like let people know about.

Serge, has your "latest" patch to me been incorporated into a 1.4 release
and plunked into the tree yet?

> The 3
> trials of ATA you must pass are 1) writable byte count / cyl. address
> registers, 2) successful wdreset(), and 3) successful WDCC_DIAGNOSE behavior.
>
> The first test is reasonable, for what its worth.

Hmm.  Not sure I agree here.  My POS NEC 260 fails this test badly.
Not sure why.  I (w)hacked it out to get even vague functionality...

>  However the spec
> says that, in general, the host should divert to the bit bucket any excess
> data offered by the device (and send pad bytes when the device asks for more
> than is required).  Seems like atapi_io() should be less sensitive to
> overrun/underrun.

Agreed.  I even read the ATAPI driver from the L camp, and it clearly
black-holes the overruns and white-holes the needed extras.

> My current (final?) problem is that the TEST_UNIT_READY command issued during
>
> wcd driver open never seems to generate an interrupt.  I haven't solved this
> one yet, but it may be related to the state of the IEN bit in wd_ctrl at the
> end of wdreset(), since this is the first opportunity for the device to
> interrupt.  Which reminds me that the infinite sleeps in atapi.c are less
> than ideal.

Hmm.. You may need Serge's latest and greates patch that I alude to above.
With minor work, I could dredge this up for you if you don't have it.

jdl