Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routed issues, and some questions on the routed code. Looks flaky.

I have FreeBSD acting as a router on several boxes here, and for some
weird reason, it's broadcasting itself as the default route on all
interfaces, even ones where is doesn't make sense.

ie:

  Net A + --- +-----------+
              | FBSD1     |         Cisco to rest of world
  Net B + --- +-----------+ \      /

                              Net C
                            /      \
  Net D + --- +-----------+         Node X
              | FBSD2     |
  Net E + --- +-----------+

The Cisco is kicking out RIP packets saying it has the default route. So
far so good.  But routed running on FBSD1 is broadcasting to Net A, Net B,
and Net C that it has the default route.  So Node X running routed -q sees
first the Cisco as the default, then FBSD1, then FBSD2.  Everything works,
because they get redirected when the packets for off-site get to FBSD1
then the static route apparently takes over and it sends them to the
Cisco, and so on.

But I want FBSD1 to advertise via RIP that it has Net A and B, and on the
Net A/B side I want it to advertise itself as the default, but on the C
side, I want it to just send out that it's the router for A and B and STFU
about the default.

Similar things apply to FBSD2.

I'm running the -current routed on everything, but no luck so far.  On the
Cisco I can put a distribute list to tell it not to blab some of this
stuff (or rather the second cisco not shown going off to the FR cloud).

But I don't see that functionality.

I mucked with putting stuff in /etc/gateways, but routed hollers if the
Cisco is marked passive, since it actually kicks out routing info.

There appears to be some funkyness in the parms.c file for routed as well.
"active" is listed on the man page as a valid parameter, but when going
through the code, it doesn't appear to be valid.  Also, the test for
active implies that somehow you can get a "null" (\0) in the field and
that's used to determine remote gateways, but I can't see how you can even
get to the if statement, since you have to match 5 parameters in the scanf
above, and with nothing after the metric number, you only get 4.  SO I
think there's some flakiness in the code.