Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:31:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many files can I put in one diretory?

>  Hello
>  I have a user who needs to store a large amount of small html files. Like
> around 2 million...

that sounds insane! Because a name is a name, why dont they call
those files xx/yy/zz/tt.html and the like, to get down to a more
reasonable # of files per directory.

Or use a single file and a cgi which extracts things from the right place.
In such a context, i assume that the best place to do the name lookup
is in the app, not in the kernel.

	cheers
	luigi