Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:19:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@phoenix.unacom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP problems on install floppy in 4.0-SNAPS from current.freebsd.org

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910101758290.91778-100000@salmon.nlsystems.com> Doug Rabson writes:
> : Due to the nature of the pnp code, it might be probed as ed1 instead of
> : ed0.
>
> I have a SBC here that has an onboard PNP ne2000 chip on it.  It comes
> up as ed1 because I have ed0 at a wired address.  I don't see ed0 at
> all, and it just works, so I just hacked my rc.conf to use ed1 rather
> than ed0 like I did when it ran 3.3R.
>
> Now for the obligitory tangent:
> Does FreeBSD have the ability to reassign IRQs for PNP devices?  I
> have one that is coming up at IRQ 5, but I have a non-PNP device that
> is at 5, but many other IRQs free.  There is no way in the BIOS to set
> which IRQs are used for PNP and which ones are designated for legacy
> devices.

Right now, one can hack isa_find_irq() to restrict which interrupts it
checks. I have been thinking about using a loader environment variable for
this. One existing problem is that a pci device which doesn't match a
driver does not reserve its irq resource. Fixing that still leaves the
case of an unknown non-pnp isa device though.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com