Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:03:46 -0400
From:      Lorenzo Castellini <lorenzo.castellini28@gmail.com>
To:        Joseph Mingrone <jrm@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, mmokhi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google Summer of Code

--00000000000051830f05f81e90e2

Hi,
I hope all is well. Firstly, I appreciate your time and the email response.
Unfortunately, due to the proposal due date being not so far away, I do not
think I will make it in time to send a complete proposal. Nonetheless, if I
come up with any new ideas that are more complete, I will let you know.
Again, thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Lorenzo Castellini Coutin

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 9:56=E2=80=AFPM Joseph Mingrone <jrm@freebsd.org> w=
rote:

> On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 18:07, Lorenzo Castellini <
> lorenzo.castellini28@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> > I hope this email finds you well. I am Lorenzo Castellini, a senior hig=
> > school student, with an interest in participating in the Google Summer =
of
> > Code. I am writing this email, since I am interested in collaborating
> with
> > you guys on the project, but I am in need of a bit of guidance with the
> > project proposal. I checked out the project list, and I was particularl=
> > interested in a project of virtual memory compression. I would like to
> work
> > with this, maybe extending the project even further or applying some
> > automation to such a process. On another note, I would also like to wor=
> > with something similar, but with other PC components. Let me know of so=
me
> > ideas according to my interests. Thanks!
>
> > Sincerely,
> > Lorenzo Castellini Coutin
>
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> I don't see any proposed projects to work on virtual memory compression
> on https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas.  That's not to say that
> you can't still propose something, but we should determine if this is a
> viable project.  It looks like there were some GSoC projects in this
> area in 2015 and 2019.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2015/MemoryCompressionDeduplication
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2019Projects/VirtualMemoryCompressio=
>
> I've copied Mahdi Mokhtari, who mentored the project in 2019.  Mahdi,
> could you share any information about how that project turned out?  The
> repository listed on the wiki returns HTTP 404.
>
> Lorenzo, there is some general information about writing a proposal at
> https://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode/.
>
> Joe

--00000000000051830f05f81e90e2

e and the email response. Unfortunately, due to the proposal due date being=
 not so far away, I do not think I will make it in time to send a complete =
proposal. Nonetheless, if I come up with any new ideas that are more comple=
te, I will let you know. Again, thanks for your time and=C2=A0consideration=
ass=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 9:56=E2=80=AFPM Joseph Mingrone =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrm@freebsd.org">jrm@freebsd.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Mon, 2023-03-27 at=
 18:07, Lorenzo Castellini &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lorenzo.castellini28@gmail=
.com" target=3D"_blank">lorenzo.castellini28@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Greetings,<br>
&gt; I hope this email finds you well. I am Lorenzo Castellini, a senior hi=
gh<br>
&gt; school student, with an interest in participating in the Google Summer=
 of<br>
&gt; Code. I am writing this email, since I am interested in collaborating =
with<br>
&gt; you guys on the project, but I am in need of a bit of guidance with th=
e<br>
&gt; project proposal. I checked out the project list, and I was particular=
ly<br>
&gt; interested in a project of virtual memory compression. I would like to=
 work<br>
&gt; with this, maybe extending the project even further or applying some<b=
r>
&gt; automation to such a process. On another note, I would also like to wo=
rk<br>
&gt; with something similar, but with other PC components. Let me know of s=
ome<br>
&gt; ideas according to my interests. Thanks!<br>
&gt; Sincerely,<br>
&gt; Lorenzo Castellini Coutin<br>
Hi Lorenzo,<br>
I don&#39;t see any proposed projects to work on virtual memory compression=
on <a href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas" rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas</a>.=C2=A0 T=
hat&#39;s not to say that<br>
you can&#39;t still propose something, but we should determine if this is a=
viable project.=C2=A0 It looks like there were some GSoC projects in this<b=
r>
area in 2015 and 2019.<br>
lication" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/Sum=
merOfCode2015/MemoryCompressionDeduplication</a><br>
ompression" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/S=
ummerOfCode2019Projects/VirtualMemoryCompression</a><br>
I&#39;ve copied Mahdi Mokhtari, who mentored the project in 2019.=C2=A0 Mah=
di,<br>
could you share any information about how that project turned out?=C2=A0 Th=
e<br>
repository listed on the wiki returns HTTP 404.<br>
Lorenzo, there is some general information about writing a proposal at<br>
r" target=3D"_blank">https://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode/</a>.<br=

Joe<br>

--00000000000051830f05f81e90e2--