Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 10:23:02 -0800
From:      rsoles@SIRIUS.COM (Roger L Soles)
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 66 -> 80

I'd advise against it... I have problems with an AMD586dx2 80 (5volt)
overheating (machine acts strangely).  This chip was designed to work
at 80.  The newer 3v AMD 80's do not exhibit this problem, and cost
around $130.00.  If you motherboard supports a 3v processor, you might
consider the upgrade and sell your existing processor to defray the
costs.

BTW:  the machine that overheats with the AMD 80 has a CPU cooling fan,
two case fans, and a power supply fan -- most of the time it work OK,
never has a problem at 66...  Also, one other thing -- when you run at
80 your bus clock will be 40 -- that can cause problems with some local
bus cards if your MB isn't designed to accomodate it.

- Roger

>    Has anyone ever clocked a 486dx2/66 up to 80?  I'm considering doing this
>on my FreeBSD box.
>

>-matt
>
>--
>Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
>                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration
>Work Related     -> mmead@ctr.vt.edu    |     mmead@goof.com <-     All Other
>---- -------            WWW -> http://www.goof.com/~mmead           --- -----

// Roger L Soles
// PO Box 280785