Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:47:25 +0100
From:      michael schuster <michael.schuster@Sun.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Allowing a program to run the OS itself out of VM, with or without
>     overcommit, is (being generous) just plain dumb.

I'm not a fan of either (overcommit or non-), I can see advantages with both
(seeing that Solaris, which I happen to work with, has one and FreeBSD the
other), but your last remark does beg an answer:

In a non-dedicated environment (ie a general-purpose Unix machine), it's the
mix of applications that brings down your memory, not a single one. In such a
situation I can imagine synchronous information to the effect "you're out of
swapable memory" to be practical (that's the way Solaris implements it).

I haven't thought this out in detail, but I also imagine it easier to handle
ENOMEM than SIGDANGER, because of the synchronous nature of the first versus
the asynchronous nature of the second.

just my 2 euro cents
Michael
--
Michael Schuster          / Michael.Schuster@sun.com
Sun Microsystems GmbH     / (+49 89) 46008-2974 | x62974

Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'