Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:43:14 +0100
From:      Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
To:        "Randall R. Stewart (home)" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>, Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two ISP lines

Just some questions about this paper:

"(...) Note that this route has to be at the same level of the tree, i.e.
the code cannot return a less specific match or a more specific
match (...)"

Question: I don't understand why if you are looking for an alternate
route you aren't allowed to retrieve a more specific route. This doesn't
make sense to me. If you are routing packets using a route when
there is a more specific match, you aren't doing "longest prefix match".

Another question: if ISP-1 goes down, and you use this feature of
alternatives routes, this still doesn't fix the communication problem. Unless
you make something with the source addr. of the multihomed site's
packets, the reply packets will be lost in the faulty ISP, imho.

Regards.