Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:45:26 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        g@sh4-5.1blu.de, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, cy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports && 10-CURRENT

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:26:40PM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <20130619141527.GA25228@sh4-5.1blu.de>, Matthias Apitz writes:
> > El d=EDa Wednesday, June 19, 2013 a las 06:32:40AM -0700, Cy Schubert e=
scribi=F3:
> >=20
> > > You don't understand. devel/imake is a fine piece of software but peo=
ple do
> > =20
> > > not want to install more software than they have to. net/vnc comes wi=
th=20
> > > it's own integrated Xserver. Using this logic we should integrate=20
> > > x11-servers/xorg into it too. Neither makes sense. The only reason to=
 use=20
> > > devel/imake is if net/vnc _installs_ its own imake, which it does not=
=2E=20
> > > There's no reason to install more software just to build other softwa=
re if=20
> > > we don't need it. It's extra baggage.
> >=20
> > I keep thinking, that _if_ there is already installed an imake, net/vnc
> > should make use of it and not try to build its own one; and most of the
> > users of net/vnc will have installed an X server before;
>=20
> Agreed.
>=20
> I doubt devel/imake would be any more successful though. I haven't looked=
=20
> at it closely (less than a couple of minutes, so I may be wrong) but I=20
> believe that OSMajorVersion may not be defined properly under 10.
>=20

Problem with imake is that it doesn't work with clang because it uses a
traditional cpp while clang's cpp does not support traditional mode, the po=
rt
right now has been "fixed" by making it use gcpp, which is not something we=
 want
in long term as gcpp will be removed from base one day.

I'm working on devel/tradcpp and to make devel/imake use this version to fi=
x the
situation, if some ports do bundle imake they will not benefit those fixes =
so it
will duplicate the work.

There is a reason while we do prefer undbundling things the main one is tha=
t the
bug fix and the compatibility patch, having to do them only once is less
painful.

regards,
Bapt

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2