Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:03:07 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jmallett@newgold.net (Joseph Mallett), dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org (David Kelly), bzdik@yahoo.com (Bzdik BSD), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clash of Titans - Tale of two Morons

> I'm not terribly impressed with L4.  Their "no commercial use"
> license doesn't help my opinion any.

Are you saying you are not impressed with L4's technology or
its licence?  If the latter, you should look at Fiasco as it
implements the same API and is under GPL.

> At one time, I got pretty deep into the bowels of Chorus,
> which I fond to be very impressive (I've seen it running on
> a 1024 node multiprocessor).

Yes indeed.  I failed to mention it.  I'd like to get my
hands on a Usenix winter '91 paper by Chorus people about
ukernels and unix.

> Given my druthers, I think Inferno is better than Plan9, as an
> example microkernel.

I believe calling either os a microkernel will rile the Bell
Labs guys mightily!:-)  But plan9 does seem very nice,
elegant, modular and quite simple.  Inferno runs on top of
Plan9 (whether it runs natively as well I do not know).

`given my druthers'.  Does it come from "I'd rather"?

> I think that the licensing costs for both, as well as the yearly
> subscription renewal requirement, are why neither are gaining
> any real ground.

Plan9 has been open-sourced for a while now.  See
plan9.bell-labs.com.  Too bad it was not open sourced 10
years ago when it could've had the impact it deserves.
Judging from reading comp.os.plan9 now and then I get the
feeling plan9 is slowly winning converts.  Inferno has been
transferred lock, stock and barrel to Vitanuovo.

> > Bringing this back to FreeBSD, it would be neat to see the
> > BSD API implemented on top of a tiny ukernel even if that
> > meant a few % slowdown.  The FreeBSD kernel is grown quite a
> > lot over the years and while I applaud and marvel at the
> > amount of new stuff added and old stuff speeded up, every
> > time someone adds a new feature I keep thinking does it have
> > to be in the kernel?  Perhaps -current has become so fragile
> > partially because of the kernel size and interdependency of
> > modules.  Such rearchitecting would be fun but a big task....
>
> That's what the Lites project was all about.  Unfortunately,
> the only really good microkernel implementations out there are
> very expensive closed source products.

Fiasco is open.  If you don't like it, L4 interface is simple
enough to reengineer from scratch relatively straight
forwardly.  QNX is not free but can also serve as a good
model for what to factor out in a ukernel.  But just porting
FreeBSD on top of such a kernel wouldn't be worth it.  One
would have to tear apart intertwined modules and reduce their
interdependencies, simplify and thereby generalize various
subsystems and so on.  Probably better to start from scratch,
build a framework and start implementing syscalls and
reintroduce code (treat FreeBSD as a collection of very
borrowable code fragments).  I know, a lot of handwaving!

On the other hand plan9 seems like an eminently usable
system.  Just imagine, you can mount tarfiles, zipfiles,
mailbox, dump tapes and so on as filesystems and (from what
I hear) it is easy to create a fs server for any such
collection of objects.  I'll have to find out for myself....

-- bakul