Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 03:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        ryan@genius.tisl.soft.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unix tar/gz version of source?

> Where can I get the source of FreeBSD in tar(or tar.gz) format?
> It woul be easy for me to download one file.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ryan
> (ryan@genius.tisl.soft.net)

ftp ftp.freebsd.org
cd pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current
bin
get src.tar

Now I know there is no src.tar there..
but the server will tar up the src directory for you and send it..
(smart server eh?)

of course this is a LOT of sources..
(100s of MB) you might want to be more slective by cd'ing further into the
tree.

also consider:
1/ buy the cdrom.. for 30 dollars it's a good buy
2/ get a pc, get the boot floppy, install it
 the install process will ftp over the sources as part of the install
3/ get and compile SUP on whatever unix box you have and SUP the sources..