Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:41:02 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   The bloody RAID/JBOD virus

Hello,

We are again evaluating hardware to use FreeBSD with ZFS as a storage =
server. And, of course, we are again banging our heads
against the bloody "intelligent" controllers.

This machine has two controllers. The first one is recognized by the mps =
driver,
mps0: <LSI SAS2004> port 0x3f00-0x3fff mem =
0x90ebc000-0x90ebffff,0x912c0000-0x912fffff irq 32 at device 0.0 on =
pci17
mps0: Firmware: 15.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: =
185c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,IR>

and the second one (this is what I don't like at all) by the mfi driver.
mfi0: <Invader> port 0x4f00-0x4fff mem =
0x913f0000-0x913fffff,0x91400000-0x914fffff irq 34 at device 0.0 on =
pci22
mfi0: Using MSI
mfi0: Megaraid SAS driver Ver 4.23=20
mfi0: FW MaxCmds =3D 240, limiting to 128
mfi0: MaxCmd =3D 240, Drv MaxCmd =3D 128, MaxSgl =3D 70, state =3D =
0xb73c00f0

So, again, we have the typical scenario of the RAID card between ZFS and =
the disks.

# camcontrol devlist
<LSI Logical Volume 3000>          at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

The machine has actually 24 disks.=20

# zpool status
  pool: clientes
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	clientes        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2-0      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd0   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd1   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd2   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd3   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd4   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd5   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd6   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd7   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd8   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd9   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd10  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2-1      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd11  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd12  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd13  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd14  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd15  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd16  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd17  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd18  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd19  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd20  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    mfisyspd21  ONLINE       0     0     0
	spares
	  mfisyspd22    AVAIL  =20

errors: No known data errors

But, again, defined as "jbod", which I don't like at all. At least in =
the past this formula has been a proven disaster. In the past (similar =
situations) I've been unable to hot swap disks without voodoo macumba =
procedures (I consider needing a "mfiutil" voodoo macumba) and, of =
course, the real CAM subsystem has no visibility at all.

# mfiutil show adapter
mfi0 Adapter:
    Product Name: ServeRAID M5210e
   Serial Number: 3CJ0SG         =20
        Firmware: 24.0.2-0013
     RAID Levels: JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID10
  Battery Backup: not present
           NVRAM: 32K
  Onboard Memory: 0M
  Minimum Stripe: 64K
  Maximum Stripe: 64K

Actually, in several machines I use a patched driver that ignores all =
the raid crap and presents the disks as real SAS disks. But I am using =
it on machines in which a failure is not a tragedy. Been working for =
years without incidents, but OS updates are always risky.

So, I would like to know:

1) Is this "mfisyspd" REALLY a disk? Won't I notice any differences? So =
far, I've attached SSD disks and ZFS has created a pool with 512 byte =
blocks. Note the difference between a "more or less like a disk JBOD" =
(which I definitely do not want) and a real disk.

2) Is there a way to bypass all that or should I look for a replacement =
HBA instead? Seems it's impossible to get manufacturers to ship simple =
HBAs without that "intelligent" RAID thing.

Of course I may be wrong, and this card might be what I really want, =
with no interference from the RAID functionality. But, so far, every =
time I've seen so-called JBODs defined with RAID cards, they were =
actually 1 disk RAID0 logical volumes, which I don't want.

At least loading the mfip driver gives me access to the pass devices, =
which is some progress.  But I'm still not sure.

Sorry for the blunt message, but wherever I look I see all these cards =
we should not use with ZFS.

Thanks!

Borja.