Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:18:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd TCP glitches in new currents

<<On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:13:51 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> said:

>> Hmmm.  I thought we agreed that 200 msec was the minimum reasonable
>> RTO.  That code doesn't seem to have made it in.

> I assume you mean 20 msec (= 2 tick @ 100 Hz ) ? 200 msec is enough
> to get halfway around the globe...

No, I mean 200 msec.  If you make the RTO be any shorter than that,
you'll slow-start every packet you send to a machine which is running
delayed-ACK (i.e., almost everyone).  The official standard RTO is I
think 500 msec, but this might be too high.

We have ``bad retransmit recovery'' which is supposed to detect some
instances of this and disable slow-start in that case.

-GAWollman