Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:19:56 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any advice before I buy a printer for FreeBSD?

On Sunday, Nov 24, 2002, at 23:08 US/Pacific, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:19:31PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
>> On Sunday 24 November 2002 09:45 pm, BSD baby wrote:
>>> Any advice before I buy a printer for FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> I'm finally going to get a printer for my FreeBSD devbox this week.
>>>
>>> Are they all pretty much FreeBSD-compatible?
>>> or is there some spec I need to look for?
>>>
>>> I assume parallel port is still the way to go
>>> or is USB really ready on FreeBSD?
>>
>> The most painless way to print within FreeBSD is with a Postscript
>> printer which speaks lpd protocol on ethernet.
>>
> Sadly this is quite an expensive way.

If you can find one on eBay or somewhere, look into a Lexmark Optra
Color 40 (or 45).
Nice color inkjet printer, WITH Postscript.  It comes with a fighting
2MB of memory, but add a 32 or 64MB SIMM and you're good to go; prints
great from FreeBSD, WinXP, and Mac OS X.  I've  loved mine for two
years, and recently acquired another NIB that I might, MIGHT be talked
out of.  Better yet, go find your own - should be less than $100.
Recommended.

KeS

BTW, I was recently looking to see what else is out there, and the best
I came up with is an HP 2280 at $450.