Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:03:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Kevin Day wrote:
> > I'm actually going to look at doing this tommorow, but I have to admit
> > the sio driver isn't really going to like doing this. Has anyone
> > looked at this before and could possibly give any suggestions as to
> > how I should begin this?
>
> It looks really ugly.
>
> The real problem is the 'isa_get_foo()' calls that are used.  I've got a
> small start of splitting out the ISA bits from the probe/attach routines
> but I'm really not sure what the best way to solve these issues is.
> (They're the same issues I'm dealing with on the if_ed driver...)

I have a plan for this. The isa_get_flags() stuff is going to change to
device_get_flags() and the rest can use the ISA_GET/SET_RESOURCE methods
which could be implemented by pccard as well.

For PCI, we need to change the probe slightly to pass the RID for the port
resource (always zero for isa but normally nonzero for pci). In this case,
the GET/SET_RESOURCE methods probably won't be needed since they are just
used for the multiport kluge.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com