Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:07:52 -0400
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS RaidZ-2 problems

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com> wrote:

> To be clear, I am unsure whether my problem was the power supply or the
> wiring -- it could have been a flaky connector in the strand. I simply
> replaced it all.
>
> I had a 1,000W power supply drawing ~400W on the intake. Assuming 80%
> efficiency, the power supply should have had plenty of ummpf left.
> Regardless, the new power supply was cheap compared to my
> frustration. :)

Well... to test the power supply, you really need to "scope" the power
that the drive uses... likely 12V.  Bad wires can also be of effect
here, but not everyone has a scope.  It's not about the % of available
capacity in the case of a bad power supply unit, it's about the
quality of the unit itself.  What _I_ was talking about was the input
to the unit.

Roughly, as I understand it, switching power supplies work by
"filling" the capacitors that "float" the voltage rails by diverting
power from the incoming sine wave to the capacitor when it is above a
threshold.  A quality supply that is lightly loaded might run several
seconds without power before the capacitor drains to the point of
shutting off.  The "quality" of the power supply comes in removing the
waveform from the voltage rail that would otherwise result.

Now... my suspicion of the parent's power problems come in the form of
the power supply unit's reaction to brown-outs that are not severe
enough to trigger the inexpensive (off-line) UPS.  If the result of
the brown-out is a dip in the voltage on the 12V rail while
(coincidentally) the drive is writing to the disk... this is where the
drive starts to loose sectors fairly rapidly.

To put it more graphically:

good power + cheap power supply unit == mostly working computer.

bad power + cheap power supply unit == dead disks.

good power supply units are generally a good idea.