Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:50:17 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Neat aerospace desktop background images?

At 10:35 PM -0400 7/16/01, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:

>  If by the loading dock you mean the white-roofed thing on the right in
>  this picture (which would be the south-east side):
>
>  http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Apr1998/DF-ST-87-06962.html
>
>  that is the bus terminal, with the subway station below.

	I am aware of this.  I worked in the building between 1989 &
1995.  For the early years, I came in by bus, and later I came in by
Metrorail (for which the entrance is right below the bus station).

>                                                            The actual
>  the viewer (the south-west).

	Right.  And so-called "South Parking" is the parking lot in front
of the building (from the viewers perspective).

>                                If you look toward the right of that side,
>  you can see the exits of the tunnels that run under the south-east
>  side.  Until the early 80s, DoD busses used those tunnels.

	They may have been tunnels back then.  When I was there, they had
an entrance on the side of the building into the interior, where
people with special handicapped parking permits could go and park
between certain rings, and where the contractors would enter if they
needed to go to the center court (a.k.a., "Ground Zero").

	Now, if you think a semi loaded with ANFO or C-4 at the South
C-4, parked right outside the NMCC, DIA, or other secured facilities
within the building.

>                                                              Directly
>  above those tunnels, and running along that entire side of the building
>  is (or at least was; I haven't been there in years) a shopping mall,
>  which is accessible to the public via the bus and subway stations.

	At the time I was there, the interior shopping mall was
accessible only to people with building passes.

	However, during the early years the interior drug store used to
stock large butane lighter refilling cannisters (primarily for all
the high-ranked military and civilian officials that smoked pipes and
cigars), easily enough to take out an entire office if you left one
sitting on a coffee pot burner after you left.

	Later, they removed the butane refiller cannisters, but they
still didn't bother checking the bags of anyone who entered or left
the building with a pass, so you could easily come in with a
briefcase of C-4, Semtex, or other plastique (or walk out with a
briefcase full of highly classified documents).  Indeed, I once saw
the Soviet military attach=E9 come in, and was surprised to see that he
had his own Pentagon building pass.

	Those building passes would take a twelve year-old kid about five
minutes to duplicate.  That's one of the reasons why I made damn sure
that I turned in all my badges, so that if there was ever a problem
that they would be less likely to potentially blame me.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */
/*   where title-key =3D "153 2 8 105 225" or other similar 5-byte key    */