Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:25:17 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   da0:bt timeout

One of my computers had some SCSI timeouts

Jul 28 16:21:16 sanson /kernel: (da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc295fb40
- timed out
Jul 28 16:21:30 sanson /kernel: bt0: btdone - Attempt to free
non-active BCCB 0xc295f3c0
Jul 28 16:21:30 sanson /kernel: (da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc295fb40
- timed out
Jul 28 16:21:30 sanson /kernel: bt0: No longer in timeout

After looking at the archives found different comments on this,
but not much of a solution.

The controller is a bus logic and the HD an old IBM 5Mb/sec
drive (SCSI 1?)
I started to have these yesterday.  The computer has been up for
about a week and most of that time I did not have the error,
however I had the controller set to 5Mb/Synchronous for the
drive. Changed to async while trying to debug why softupdates
where not been installed (I was not building the kernel
properly).

Will this old drive have less problems as 5Mb/synchronous?
Will this be a problem with softupdates?

The computer/controller/drive are a combination of a gift from a
brother and items picked up from Ebay. Worst case I could
replace the HD which I suspect is just plain old, but it would
be nice if I could get this to work at least for a few more
months before I buy a new drive.

Most of the time the timeouts correct themselves with "No longer
in timeout" but once it brought down the whole machine.

When I first got the drive I did a verify and a format and it
did not report any errors.