Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:15:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        "John A. Hengstler" <john@hei.net>
Cc:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: anti-virus for qmail based isp services

What I am using is as follows:

1) A copy of qqrbl, HEAVILY MODIFIED (and no, it isn't really in a state
that I can give this out) which does multiple RBL lists, PLUS runs the
virus scanner.   Basically, it spits a complete copy of every email it
recieves to the /tmp directory and runs the virus scanner on it.  If the
virus scanner returns a "has virus" result, it returns it to the sender,
with some address de-mangling to handle magistr and the like.   On the
QQRBL side, it just adds headers for users to more easily match against
for any RBL it finds.

2) Kaspersky antivirus (www.kaspersky.com).  This runs on freebsd.  This
has two modes - basically a light and a heavy setting, although they call
the settings different things.   Essentially, the light setting does a
once-over and the heavy setting recursively processeses the
files.  Unfortunately, the heavy setting takes lots of CPU to do its
work.  The Light setting appears to miss about 1 in 100 viruses.   That
said, there is no reason you couldn't use another virus checker.

I DO NOT recommend the Kaspersky qmail product, at least unless they fixed
the bugs (and they were aware of them and working on them.).

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE