Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 01:43:16 -0700
From:      "Bharat Mediratta" <bharat@sinia.com>
To:        "Erik Trulsson" <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: GENERIC 4.0 kernel compile fails on in_cksum.c

> > Then, I followed these directions:
> >
> > 	# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > 	# config GENERIC
> > 	# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
> > 	# make depend
> > 	# make
>
> Wrong. Very wrong. Where did you get these directions?

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

but I didn't actually use these directions; read on.

> To upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0 you should follow the instructions in
> /usr/src/UPDATING. (After getting the 4.0 sources with cvsup.)
> What you are doing (trying to build a 4.0 kernel with 3.4 tools) is
> basically doomed to fail.

Oops, you're (partially) right.  I left out a few instructions when
I cut and paste.  I actually followed /usr/src/UPDATING and did this:

 	# cd src/usr.bin/genassym
	# make depend all install clean
	# cd ../../usr.sbin/config
	# make depend all install clean
	# cd ../../sys/i386/conf
	# config GENERIC
	# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
	# make depend && make

And this is where it bombed.  For reference, /usr/src/UPDATING says:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        Update config, genassym and go:
                cd src/usr.bin/genassym
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../usr.sbin/config
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../sys/i386/conf
                config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                make depend && make
                make install

Kris Kenneway was kind enough to point out that source upgrading from
3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE is not supported (now where is *that* documented...
did I miss it?) and he instructed me on upgrading from 3.4-STABLE
to 4.0-RELEASE.  I've pulled down the 4.0-RELEASE code and thus far
the kernel has compiled.

So if I want to go from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE I apparently have to
upgrade *twice* (once to 4.0-RELEASE, then again to 4.0-STABLE).  Does
it have to be this way?  From an abstract point of view, it seems that
there should be a straight STABLE upgrade path...

Thanks,
-Bharat