Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:23:11 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installworld error (ex: not found)

> From: Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:06:36 -0600
>
> ex: not found
> *** Error code 127
>
> Stop in /usr/src/share/termcap.
> *** Error code 1
>
> ....so wondering where ex is and what is wrong with it:
>
> [15:26 munish@rn-re116a13 ~] ll /usr/bin/ex
> -r-xr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  279952 Dec 29 15:19 /usr/bin/ex
>
> ....it's there and fine. The PATH is set fine too.

I ran into a similar(-ish) problem this morning trying to do a make
installworld from an nfs-mounted filesystem where I had done my buildworld
on another machine.  What I discovered after much frustration is that
installworld invokes make with a complete override of PATH such that it only
looks for things in /usr/obj/... and the fact that the ex binary exists in a
normal PATH place doesn't help.  In my case, I had to mount remote:/usr/obj
over the local /usr/obj before doing the make installworld.  (This was my
first foray into updating binaries on machine A from a build done on machine
B.  The instructions in the makefile left room for imagination.)

I know this isn't a complete answer to your question, just a clue: it's
probably looking for /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/ex

-- Ian