Date:      08 Feb 2006 10:05:04 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Rob <rbyrnes@mailshack.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with mounting USB stick as user

Rob <rbyrnes@mailshack.com> writes:

> Got a small problem thats just driving me nuts. I have an MP3 player that
> appears as a memory stick - from dmesg:
>
> umass0: iRiver Limited. iRiver Internet Audio Player IFP-700, rev 2.00/0.01,
> addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <iriver MassStorage Disc > Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 500MB (1024001 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 500C)
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi status
> == 0x0
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi status
> == 0x0
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi status
> == 0x0
>
> The mount-point is owned by root:operator, and my user is a member of the
> operator group.  I have vfs.usermount=1 in sysctl.conf.  I have a devfs.rules
> file:
>
> [riff_usb=10]
> # Make USB drives readable to those in the "operator" group
> add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator
>
> and it is referenced in rc.conf.
>
> But ..
>
> loop@riff ~ % mount /flash
> mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted
> loop@riff ~ % ls -la /dev/da0
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator    0, 122 Feb  8 22:24 /dev/da0
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here?

Hard to say.
Can you make the mount as root?  [If not, maybe you're using the wrong
device; these kinds of gadgets are generally sliced.  Or maybe the
failing SCSI commands are a problem.]

If you can make the mount as root, check the sysctl and user's groups
from the command line to make sure that the settings are being done
properly.