Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:35:43 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   8.2-RELEASE sysinstall creates duplicate rc.conf lines

Hi all,

We recently discovered that sysinstall appears to be adding it's own
lines to /etc/rc.conf which are duplicates of lines that we are
inserting during builds.  For example, on one of our hosts, we are
adding "defaultrouter" and "ifconfig_em0" with certain network
configurations.  When we reboot the system we find that sysinstall
also inserted a "defaultrouter" and "ifconfig_em0" populated with the
data that existed on the interface during the build.  See a sample of
the rc.conf below.  We are making use of the keeprcconf in the
install.cfg, but this does not prevent sysinstall from adding those
lines.  Is there some way to prevent this behavior?

# Sample rc.conf after sysinstall build
defaultrouter="10.0.0.1"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="bsdtest"
ifconfig_em0="inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.252.0"
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.2 netmaks 255.255.255.0"
sshd_enable="YES"

--
Take care
Rick Miller