Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 09:28:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim Carroll <jim@carroll.com>
Subject:   Re: fsck and large file system

On Wednesday, 12 May 1999 at 15:18:22 -0400, Mark J. Taylor wrote:

>> Huh- I remember fixing this for NetBSD. You have to do a setrlimit within
>> fsck so it can malloc enough space and have enough swap to back that. We
>> were fsck'ing 600GB+ filesystems.

>> I've been doing 120GB+ filesystems for FreeBSD for quite some time. The
>> real fun will be the 1TB filesystems.
>
> The problem that we ran into in a system with several 130 MB RAID5 arrays
> is that the fsck was running out of RAM+swap.  We had to add a vnode to swap
> to before the fsck would complete (basically added more swap space).
> We had to have over 100 MB swap space to fsck the 130 MB volume, and the
> system has 64 MB RAM.  This was is 2.2.8 (haven't upgraded it yet).

Why can't you just use more swap rather than resort to vnodes?

> BTW: this system is getting VERY poor I/O performance, using the DPT SCSI RAID
> controller and three arrays of four 49 GB Seagate drives.  "iozone" reports
> 340,000 bytes/sec write and 9,800,000 bytes/sec read.

That's particularly bad.  Which model was it?  I've done some
comparisons with Vinum and found that the write performance of Vinum
(RAID-5) was round 25% of read performance, while it was below 10% on
the SmartRAID IV.

You should also try rawio (ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz).
iozone and bonnie use block devices, and they measure the total
system, not just the storage device.

> This horrendous write rate makes the system virtually unusable.
> Anyone have any ideas on improving the performance?

Use Vinum :-)

> Would an upgrade from its 2.2.8 to 3.{1,2} help?

It doesn't seem to be a FreeBSD issue.

> It is a Pentium 166.  During the "iozone" test, there seems to be
> only a few (less than 10) interrupts from the DPT card per second
> ("systat -vm 1").  Am I losing interrupts (it would seem so)... ?

I think you'd get a message if you lost interrupts.  It would be
interesting to correlate the interrupt load with the test you're
doing.

Greg