Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:31:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        simat@enta.net (Simon N Atkin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Class C Routing

> Just installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 and are trying to set up
> the routing between two class C networks.
>
> my example is routing between networks 207.24.36
> and 207.24.132, so far I have tried using
> route add 207.24.36.0 207.24.132.1 1
>
> This machine is host 1
>
> and route add -net 207.24.36 207.24.132 1

I believe you have to use the route command as follows:

route add -net 207.24.36.0    207.24.132.1
               [host/network] gateway-host

- no metrics argument required
- you have to specify the gateway as a host, not a network.

> I have also tried using gated with a gated.conf file
> of just
>
> rip yes ;
>
> I just keep getting no route to host when pinging
> host 1 of network 207.24.36.
> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong as this is definitly possible.

I would leave finger off of gated or routed unless you know exactly
what you want to do.